Meclis Kadın Erkek Fırsat Eşitliği Komisyonu (KEFEK) (Committee on Equality of Opportunity for Women and Men) prepared a report about the question how the constitution can be improved from a gender perspective. The committee asked different experts and civil society organizations to give their proposals concerning the following topics:
– Language of the constitution: using a language that includes women and men
– Equality arrangements and prohibitions of discrimination: the constitution should prohibit any form of discrimination because of religion, religious denomination, language, culture, gender, sexuality, sexual orientation and ethnicity.
– Representation of women in the parliament: besides the equal political representation in the constitution changes in already existing laws regulating the elections and appointment have to be made and a quota has to be implemented
– Working life: there have to be legal regulations to encourage women to take an employment
– Applying international agreements: international agreements have to get priority over Turkish laws in practical way also
– Family life: partners should have the same responsibilities and rights in the family life such as sharing tasks, taking care of children, etc. Women should be defined not as mothers but as individuals.
– Prevent violence against women
For more information read here an article published at bianet.org